This blog contains pictures of my Michael Jordan card collection, I have just re-started this blog experience and am trying to get more Jordan followers. I'm hoping the most interesting part of the blog will be the daily (if my budget allows) maildays that will detail the cards/stickers/etc. that I received on that day. As can be noticed in the first few maildays I have not purchased as many mainstream cards as usual because those cards are so easily available (well most of them) and can be had at any time. In addition to the mailday updates my eBay MJ card price guide is available for free as well. These prices reflect the maximum value and average value for Jordan cards over the last couple years. I collect all of the cards listed in the price guide and many others but only from 1984-1998. If you are interested in buying/selling Jordan cards feel free to email me using the link below. Thanks again and enjoy the blog!

Photobucket

Saturday, April 2, 2011

BGS vs. PSA Grading

Whether purchasing a new card or deciding to have one grade which do you prefer Beckett Grading (BGS) or Professional Sports Authenticator?

Beckett Grading (BGS)
  • Internal sealed sleeve to maintain position of the card in the holder
  • 4 key quality categories to grade cards (Centering, Surface, Edges, Corners)
  • Half-point scale to distinguish between grades 
  • Certification Number
  • Online population report
  • Report card sent to the card owner 
  • Cheapest price to grade 1 card - $9.00
  • Cheapest price to grade 100 cards - $7.00/card
Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) 
  • Certification number
  • PSA population report 
  • 10-point grading scale with half-point grades 
  • Tamper evident seal and stackable edge
  • Qualifiers - significant single flaws that are below standard for that grade (i.e. PSA 9 o/c - card is more off-center than normal PSA 9 cards)
  • Cheapest price to grade 1 card - $15.00
  • Cheapest price to grade 100 cards - $6.00/card

As you can see both graders offer similar services with price and grading scales. I tend to appreciate the BGS grading scale more because I like to know why my cards grade the way they do and they offer that with the 4 quality characteristics. I also like the sleeve that is sealed inside the holder, it does not allow the card to move around like the PSA graded cards can. *PSA has begun to use a sleeve similar to Beckett* Overall though I'm not opposed to buying cards that are BGS or PSA, in doing pricing research on eBay it appears other bidders have no preference as well. In fact, when I show pricing for cards I typically say PSA 8 = BGS 8 and so on. The only qualifier I have is the PSA 10 = BGS 9.5. It should also be noted with the 4 quality characteristics, collectors keep that in mind when purchasing cards especially the 86-87 Fleer Rookie. If there is a 9 the value is diminshed somewhat if there is a 10 the value inflates. It would be interesting to hear what other card collectors prefer for Jordan cards and why.

-Updated 1/13/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment